A blog from the back end nowhere of Israel

Saturday, June 23, 2007

"Emet.. Emet..

...Emet." (emet means true)
I woke up.
"The base is in high alert."
My first thought was - damn, I've only slept so little.
The second was - Oh crap, this is the real deal.

I quickly dressed, put on my helmet and flack jack and put in the magazine (that's the first time I've ever done that unsupervised). Quickly, but not as fast as in the drill. As if I was afraid of what was coming. When I finished dressing up I ran to the command bunker to find that almost everyone were already there.

At first they told us to guard the bunker, but after a while it became clear that we aren't needed there. The girl in charge took us down to the fence, we ran, of course. For once, I felt like I was really in the army. I wasn't really scared by that time, just excited and a little amused too.

Near the fence are many concrete shelters, the girl in charge sent one soldier to each shelter. Meanwhile the NCOs (that's the right term I hope.. ) shot a few flares to try and find the suspect (terrorist?) in the complete darkness around the base. The first one they shot got me by surprise and I almost jumped. I was better prepared for the second.

After a while they called off the search but told everyone to stay alert. I returned to bed but had little sleep till my next watch.

Retrospect: I know it's not much of an exciting story compared to what many combat soldiers have to tell, but compared to what I expected to have when I went to the army, it's quite a lot.

0 comments: