A blog from the back end nowhere of Israel

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Army Notes #1 - First Watch

Twenty minutes into my first watch as a sentry in my base. With a helm, a flack jacket, an m-16 and several magazines of ammo. I'm doing the night watch, one day I get 8 hours (from 6 pm to 10 pm, then four hours of sleep and then again from 2 am to 6 am) and the next day I get 4 hours (from 10pm to 2 am).

Time is passing in an erratic rate, sometimes several minutes pass when I look at the clock, sometimes, much less. I had to take it off after a while - it's too tempting to look at it too often.

An hour. I'm getting bored. I found a new way to keep myself busy. I keep looking for new ways to ration my food so I'll have enough cookies, bagels and juice for half a week's of standing (more like sitting) guard.

Three hours. I'm pretty sleepy. The glow of the monitor (it's showing a feed from a camera) is becoming almost hypnotical. Is it a bad sign?

0 comments: