A blog from the back end nowhere of Israel

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Joy of Portable Apps!

My mom ordered a U3 1GB USB drive and of course I took over it right away. What at first seemed mostly a floppy/cdrw replacement turned out to be much much cooler.
Yes, I know I stumbled upon this innovation very very late. But it's just too awesome to just let it pass without a word.

The only drawback is that it's using SanDisk's U3 Launchpad to run applications. And as far as I know it's incompatible with portableapps.com programs. I'll probably replace it with portableapp's software, but I'm just not ready to part ways with it yet, who knows what useful feature I could miss.

Such advancements in storage technology show exactly where the future is going - people mostly using USB drives to store personal information and web-browsers and connect to publicly available terminals to browse. That's exactly what I'm doing now.

Fun Fun Fun..

Added:
I installed portable app's menu. And it turns out that it has no encryption/password protection. Kinda sucks for a USB drive that could get stolen or lost.

0 comments: